Saturday, October 17, 2009

Latest Amp Project

A few weeks ago I got it in my head that I had to build a replica of the famous VOX AC15. I was already thinking about buying new parts when I realized that an old Silvertone mono hifi amp that I had found on eBay months ago had the right output tubes (a pair of 6BQ5's) and nice hefty transformers. So I ripped its guts out and converted it to something close to the AC15 (normal channel only).



Actually, I more or less followed the circuitry of the Rikstone C15. For the preamp tube I used a (Brimar) 6BR7, which is supposedly quieter than the normal EF86 but essentially equivalent, other than its different pin-out. Plus, they're cheaper.



The sound of this thing is incredible. Super bright, and loud as all get-out for a 15 watt amp. Total cost so far: somewhere between $100 and $150. (Can't remember exactly what I paid for the Silvertone.)

Now I need to build a small box to house the thing. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment