Wednesday, December 16, 2009

New amp project

This is a little amp that uses two 6SL7 tubes and one 6SN7. (Both of these are twin triodes.) The two sections of the (new Chinese) 6SN7 are used as a push-pull pair, a la the "October Studio" at AX84. The 6SL7s are old tubes; one's a Tung-Sol, the other an RCA.

The power transformer is an old Triad that I have had for years. Can't remember where it came from, but I used it long ago on a crappy attempt at a Champ-like amp. (It's rated at only 40ma, so I'm pushing it pretty hard here.)

Here's the schematic. Click on it for a larger, readable version.

The amp sounds good. It breaks up at a reasonable volume and gets real nasty when you turn it all the way up. But I'm still trying to wrap my head around the sound of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment